GOODBYE SHORT BRITTLE NAILS! HERE ARE THE BEST 5 TIPS TO IMPROVE THE HEALTH OF YOUR NAILS!
Nails that easily break, split, refuse to grow, and appear ridged are a common issue. Many times this can be caused or either worsened by certain practices: exposure to harsh soaps and water numerous times per day, frequent use of nail polish and polish removers, alcohol based hand sanitizers, and rarely can be a sign of an underactive thyroid or other systemic deficiency or condition. If you have other symptoms such as dry brittle hair, dry skin, lethargy or weight-gain you should see your dermatologist for an evaluation and work up to rule out hypothyroidism.
Nails grow very slowly and it can take on average 3 months to see improvement in nail growth if positive changes in the daily routine are made.
Here is a list of 5 recommendations to help your nails:
- Take daily Biotin 5,000mcg/day, this supplement has been shown to help nails grow healthier
- Use gentle cleansers to wash hands, stop alcohol based hand sanitizers, and polish removers.
- Moisturize your hands several times throughout the day
- Apply a cuticle oil before bedtime. Rosehip oil, Coconut oil or Argan oil all work well!
- If no improvement is noticed, consider seeing your Dermatologist. Your doctor may want to prescribe a topical medication, Genadur, for nails that is applied to nails twice daily. Genadur is an FDA approved prescribed medication which can make a big difference in nails that otherwise won’t improve.